At St Matthew Academy, we strive to provide an enriching and engaging education, underpinned by high expectations that enable every pupil to thrive and achieve their potential. Our team of dedicated and passionate staff contribute to the success of our respectful and ambitious pupils, as they challenge and support each of our learners to achieve their best possible outcomes.
As part of our ongoing commitment to developing the ‘whole child’, our offer extends beyond academic excellence. Our dynamic approach to the pupil experience encompasses a range of activities outside the classroom, creative teaching methods and a wide range of support tools to provide children with in-depth education and a diverse enrichment programme, designed to enhance their learning experience.
As pupils begin their experience with us, teachers deliver the Primary curriculum; a balanced, ambitious and engaging primary curriculum, rich in knowledge, skills and meaningful experiences. Complemented by topic-based workshops and specialist teachers, we provide pupils with a high-quality education that enables teachers to stimulate learning, raise achievement and encourage motivation.
Upon progression to the Secondary phase and KS3, pupils study National Curriculum subjects, accompanied by a termly rotation of technology and creative arts subjects. Delivered by in specialised, well-resourced classrooms, pupils are taught in a combination of set and mixed ability classes, ensuring every pupil is challenged and encouraged. In KS4, pupils are offered a choice of extra subjects that form their personalised GCSE curriculum.
St Matthew Academy recognises the talents of our young sports people and budding media and communication stars through our fantastic three-year scholarship offer.
"The sports teams at SMA celebrate amazing success both nationally and internationally with some outstanding results" Mr Goksel, Head of PE.
"The media opportunities at SMA are second to none. You will gain many transferable skills and a first-hand experience of aspects of the media industry" Mr Blakemore, Media and Communications Pathway Lead.
Successful applicants receive a first-rate offer which provides a diverse range of rich opportunities which nurtures their talent further.
We value pupil voice and allowing pupils the opportunity to influence and understand the decisions made that impact their lives at St Matthew Academy. Through a range of responsibilities and roles, we encourage pupils to assume positions that develop their leadership skills, including:
• Pupil Council
• Playground buddy system
• School Council
• Year 10 mentors
• Heads of House - each Summer term, Year 10 pupils are invited to stand for election as House Leader and Deputy House Leader. These positions are the most prestigious pupil roles at St Matthew Academy as they offer the six successful candidates the opportunity to shape the future of our school as our most senior pupils. Following election, these pupils really do learn the importance of independence, versatility, persistence, aspiration and collaboration.
We aim to inspire and cultivate our pupils’ passions, to enable the development of life-long skills and draw out every child’s potential. As part of our enrichment offer, we have a number of clubs on offer to pupils, covering a range of interests:
• Arts: Dance, Choir, Drama, Glee club, Photography
• Extending beyond the classroom: Science club, Sign language club, Cookery, Playwriting
• Sports: Football, Multi-skills, Basketball, Rowing and much more
In addition to a programme of activities, clubs and educational school trips, students have the opportunity to take part in a range of schemes, designed to enhance their skill set and attract prospective universities and employers.
In the Secondary phase, pupils are encouraged to participate in the Duke of Edinburgh Award. Often labelled ‘the passport to a brighter future’ and the ‘number one personal achievement award’ sought out by employers, the scheme inspires pupils to reach out of their comfort zone in a range of different experiences and skills.
The Debate Mate initiative aims to improve social mobility through peer-to-peer debate mentoring. To date, St Matthew Academy pupils have benefited from mentoring delivered by University students, focusing on developing their communication and high order skills.
School trips form an integral element in our curriculum and pupil experience, providing rich learning experiences, rewards and an insight into the wider world alongside a number of added benefits such as developed independence and confidence and applying their learning to real-life situations.
• Every year group participate in at least one trip each term
• 3 night residential trip for Year 6
• Reward trips related to our House System: cinema trips, picnics, bowling, theme parks
• Physical Education sports trips (PSG FC, PSV FC, London Youth Rowing)
As a close-knit, Catholic community, we make every effort to celebrate each other’s successes and achievements, exciting learning days, cultures and beliefs and our school community.
• Rewards trips
• Charity days
• World Book Day
• Summer Fayre
• Celebration Assemblies
• Cultural Day
• Whole Academy masses
• Performances: Christmas carols, Nativity, Holy Communion, Diwali, Easter Liturgy, end of year musical
Our broad and balanced curriculum offers suitable and appropriate learning challenges for all pupils in response to their individual learning needs. At St Matthew Academy every learner is provided with tailored support where necessary to ensure every pupil achieves their potential at a pace that is right for them.
• A dedicated Inclusion team, including SEN Coordinator, EAL Coordinator, learning mentors and Teaching Assistants support classrooms and pupils who require additional support.
• Our dedicated transition programme ensures that every pupil settles into life at St Matthew, comfortably. We take the time to get to know pupils’ personalities, likes and dislikes, hobbies and all the little details, long before they join us. This continues at every stage of their journey with us, into each group and right up until we prepare them for life at St Matthew Secondary Phase and the next chapter, whether they choose to progress on to college or apprenticeship pathways.
We work with an extensive range of external partners who share their expertise and skills with our pupils and staff to provide exciting opportunities, enhanced learning prospects, broaden horizons and enable personal development.
• Specialist PE teachers work with our Reception class to deliver multi-skills sessions and participate in competitions, alongside training our PE staff.
• Our established relationship with Christ the King College and St Thomas the Apostle
• Many opportunities for cross-phase collaboration among all pupils from all key stages (EYFS to KS4) to work together and learn from each other i.e. House celebrations, mentoring, Year 5 and 6 Taster days, buddy system, PSHCE days
• Strong relationships with a number of national and international organisations including KPMG, Bow Arts, BBC and SEO Scholars, providing pupils with unique learning and enrichment experiences.