Working at SMA
We pride ourselves on our all-through, Catholic nature which inspires and influences the practice of teaching and learning at every level at St Matthew Academy.
An all-through education
An all-through experience. Embarking on a career at an all-through academy offers the benefit of an extended pool of staff expertise - to both learn from and contribute to. All teachers reap the advantages in their teaching, through share facilities that allow primary staff and pupils access to secondary specialisms, greater opportunities for professional development, and cross-phase collaboration.
Let Your Light Shine
Our School Motto 'Let Your Light Shine', is taken from St Matthew's Gospel, and encapsulates our belief in the unique qualities and capabilities of every learner that joins us. As staff members, it is our aim to incorporate our motto in everyday teaching: to nurture, encourage, develop, and celebrate the talents and strengths of our young people.
Relationships between staff are based on mutual respect and developmental feedback. Senior leaders empower staff through clear leadership and meaningful vision for the school, recognising and rewarding the potential and commitment of staff.
A Valued Career
A career at St Matthew Academy offers a rewarding future, working with ambitious and inspiring young learners and like-minded, passionate staff in a close-knit, supportive team. If you believe you can add to our collaborative team, then we want to hear from you.
- Investing in you
- Professional development is at the heart of all that we do. We ensure that each career development plan is bespoke to every member of staff based on expertise and experience to allow us to tailor our training and development. Our attractive package is designed to ensure staff members' ongoing developmental needs are continuously supported and encourage every individual to progress in their career with us. With opportunities to teach across the primary and secondary phases and in partner schools; a dedicated weekly mentor hour; the Middle Leadership Programme; generous PPA time; Beacon Teacher Status scheme; early paid starts in July, and a residential trip and guest speakers for new starters/NQT staff, staff feel truly valued at St Matthew Academy.
- What can you expect from us?
- Passion and commitment to providing outstanding opportunities and learning for all
- Strong, supportive and successful leadership
- A highly skilled, supportive and approachable network of colleagues
- Inner London salary weighting and generous pension scheme
- Commitment to staff wellbeing
- State-of-the-art facilities and a large bank of resources
- Each teacher provided with their own classroom with adaptive learning spaces
- Going that extra mile
- We understand the pivotal role of our staff undertake and the impact that high-quality teaching can have on the outcomes for our learners. As such, we recognise the importance of developing and sustaining not only staff but a working environment in which they can flourish. To enhance and support your day-to-day working life, we offer some unique benefits that include, but are not limited to:
- Staff enrichment sessions: workshops and specialist sessions aimed at enhancing wellbeing, including rowing, cooking, yoga and mindfulness, circus skills, poetry, Nike training club, photography and more.
- Tech Scheme: spread the cost of payments on the latest products available from the Apple Store, Currys and PC world
- Free use of Academy gym
- Weekly staff fitness classes and social sports
- Commitment is valued: every term, each member of staff who achieves 100% attendance will be rewarded
- Incentive days off
- We endorse the Cycle-to-work scheme, childcare vouchers and annual seasons ticket loans
- Regular staff social events are organised during the academic year
- Free onsite parking
The school is an 11-minute walk from Blackheath Rail Station.
Bus route (Station to school)
Stop E located by Blackheath rail Station Buses 54, 89, 108, stopping at St.Margarets Church, Brandram Rd (Stop C)
Trains from Central London
- 12 minutes on South Eastern Trains from London Bridge
- 22 Minutes on South Eastern Trains from London Waterloo East
- 29 minutes on South Eastern Trains from London Victoria
An enviable setting
Situated in the London borough of Lewisham and the conservation area of Blackheath, St Matthew Academy commands a desirable location in an independent and thriving hub.
Working in Lewisham offers a competitive employment package, attractive working environment and strong prospects to support and enhance your professional and personal life.
Here are some of the reasons Lewisham is an ideal place to work:
Straddling two boroughs, Lewisham and Greenwich, we benefit from a true village vibe with vast green spaces including Greenwich Park and the Heath
A vibrant borough just 11 minutes from the centre of London, we are well-connected through excellent transport links with the international rail terminal in Stratford and London Overground within easy reach, and you can even fly away to Europe for a long weekend away via London City Airport
A successful and cosmopolitan part of London, Blackheath high street is filled with independent cafés and shops, diverse restaurants, with specialist foodie treats and bars dotted throughout
A popular venue for year-round events: from weekend football, weekly farmers’ markets and summer picnics, to the best free fireworks display in London – and the annual summer festival OnBlackheath, celebrating some of the best musicians and chefs in a weekend of outdoor entertainment
A wealth of unique sights, attractions and activities on your doorstep to benefit you in your free time and provide exciting learning opportunities beyond the classroom
Excellent entertainment: closely situated to Lewisham town centre for a bustling shopping centre; Blackheath Halls serves the community a range of classical music, opera and comedy, and nearby are the O2 Arena, Cutty Sark, the Royal Observatory, museums, art galleries, and much more.